Sunday 11 July 2010

Antler Moth










The Antler Moth (Cerapteryx graminis) seems to live life in the fast lane. I found a couple of larvae on Barden Moor on 21st May 2010 which were racing around the ground on a very hot day. I had presumed that they were either looking for fresh foodplants or a pupation site.
This moth emerged this morning and is photographed on Bog Myrtle where it rested for only a few minutes before flying around the garden, in broad daylight, at break-neck speed.

*

This Cat's-ear (Hypochoeris radicata) is a weed in my lawn but it is so bright and cheery that I have been mowing around it for the last couple of years!
*
Selfheal (Prunella vulgaris) is another lawn resident. I noticed this morning that you can actually buy this in the garden centre!

No comments:

Post a Comment