Friday 21 May 2010

Stonechats and Strawberries






After this Rhopobota ustomaculana emerged yesterday, I decided to revisit Barden Moor and try to photograph the Cowberry in flower.





I made the ascent to Lower Barden Reservoir, this morning, in warm sunshine and was surprised by the numbers of Wild Strawberry flowers growing alongside the path. These seemed to be providing the main nectar source for the abundant Green-veined White butterflies, one of which I saw being grabbed by a spider (look underneath the butterfly!)
I also spotted a couple of Small Coppers and a Peacock.


I finally found a Cowberry flower but think that they will be more in evidence in another fortnight or so. A pair of Stonechats were frustratingly out-of-range of my camera on the east bank of the reservoir.


A couple of these 2cm long caterpillars were found crossing the track at two separate locations. I wonder if these might be Antler Moth?







No comments:

Post a Comment