Saturday 24 April 2010

Sleeving


Two "sleeves" of fine netting arrived by post from Worldwide Butterflies today.

I am using the smaller one to contain this Light Emerald (Campaea margaitata) caterpillar on a branch of my garden birch tree.

The idea of the sleeve is that it overcomes the problem of wilting when cut food plant is used. The fine netting keeps the caterpillars in and the predators out and when large numbers are being reared there is a considerable saving of effort.

Tomorrow I may go and look for caterpillars of Mottled Umber (Erannis defoliaria) which I have usually been able to shake off elms at this time of year. I have some elm in the garden and would like to rear some caterpillars with the intention of seeing the wingless females of this species.

No comments:

Post a Comment