Saturday 5 June 2010

Hawthorn Shieldbug







I had a wander around my back garden at lunchtime today and found this Shieldbug sitting on a raspberry leaf. Having looked at a couple of websites I suspect that it may be Hawthorn Shieldbug which seems to have a rather unfortunate species name: Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale.
I have only recorded Green Shieldbug and Forest Bug in the garden before so it's nice to get a new one.
I also spotted a Caloptilia syringella on my Purging Buckthorn and what was probably Glyphipterix simplicella on the seed-head of a long blade of grass.


A micro moth larva is eating my Agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria). I am assuming it is a micro because it did the classic wriggling backwards manouvre when threatened. No doubt it will turn out to be a common polyphage like the ubiquitous Epiphyas postvittana but I will keep tabs on it anyway.

I have noticed several E. postvittana adults over the last few days, one of which had spent its larval period consuming Rhododendron.

*

After several days of worrying inactivity the first of my WLH larvae has pupated and is fastened to a leaf by a girdle of silk. The shed skin can also be seen adjacent to the, still hairy, pupa.

No comments:

Post a Comment