Friday 5 February 2010

Spring Arrives by Post!


A package arrived from Naturescape yesterday containing plug plants of wildflower species that I intend to familiarise myself with this year.
The order consists of Agrimony, Salad Burnet, Comfrey, Yellow Loosestrife, Lungwort, Meadowsweet, Mugwort, Restharrow, Wood Sage, Small Scabious, Self-heal, Sorrel, St John's Wort, Tormentil, Yarrow and Bush Vetch.
I hope that by growing these at home I will then be able to find them in the countryside.
Each of these species is a host plant for a moth that I haven't yet seen.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Derek which species is on Tormentil as I know a large patch locally.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    There are two leaf-mining members of the Nepticulidae family that use Tormentil.
    Ectoedemia arcuatella and Stigmella aeneofasciella.

    E.arcuatella has not been recorded in Yorkshire since Victorian times and I am not aware of any S.aeneofasciella records. BUT, the distribution maps of both species suggest that they could both be here!

    Where is your Tormentil patch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its above Hebden bridge near widdop gate.

    ReplyDelete